FTBA 2015 RD1 proudly bought to us by Forster Surf & Sport, The Bellevue Hotel.
Forster Tuncurry Bodyboarders held their first round of the year on the 22nd February and would like to extend a big welcome to all our new members and families.
Wild seas and ugly weather were the forecast thanks to Cyclone Marcia.
Competition kicked off at Forster Main Beach Wall break wall with 3ft+ heavy wedges.
Juniors and Open Mens hit the water first, finding some clean lines early until the SE winds, incoming tide, building swell and thick Red weed dominated the talk on land.
After some consistent rouge heavy closeouts, the competition was packed up and relocated to Tuncurry Beach.
The incoming tide had done wonders for the break with some bigger cleaner A Frames and consistent Off The Wall barrels and 2-3 linking manoeuvres.
Some big names in Juniors and Opens were bumped early which opened the way for some new faces progressing through semi's and into Finals.
The conditions were quite testing throughout the day, with some hard paddles and struggles to find the right waves amongst the washing machine like conditions.
Congratulations to all competitors on the day.
All members need to take note of the following lessons to be learnt from our first comp of the year.
- Competitors make sure you get two good waves in the bank, build on those if you can to improve your position
- All riders must be proactive watching the running sheet and draw, if you miss your heat that's your problem (take note Romeo Rory Hill)
- Free surfing is NOT to happen in Comp Zone
- All competitors are to do minimum of 2 heats judging (the more you learn in the judging chair, the better your comp surf knowledge will be)
- Know where your car keys are (take note Ben Fletcher and Daniel Smith)
- All Prizes (vouchers) must be used before next comp!
Waves of the day
- Adam Cheers scored 10's in Dk and Prone.
- Open Mens Semi with set wave forward spin, little cover up, raced the lined to smash out a huge ARS.
- DK Final with small hack, setting the line for a MASSIVE DK floater with a perfect landing.
Massive thanks to Greg Hill, Mullet, Craig Smith, Jane Dunn and all members/parents whom helped with set up, pack up X 2.
Our senior judges were very impressed with the Selmes boys and Mitch in the judging tent.
Raw Edge Photography spent some serious time in the very fast flowing water capturing some quality images and Eve Albury on land documenting our day, please show your respect and appreciation by liking and sharing the images. Massive thank you.
We have some amazing Sponsors and please remember, the more we support them the more they will support us!
Round 1 Results.
Groms (Under 14yrs of age)
1st Ben Selmes
2nd Joel Selmes
3rd Mitch Welstead
|4th Jack Rogers
Juniors (Under 18yrs of age)
1st Jeremy Coombes
2nd Grant Gardner
3rd Jacob Dunn
4th Tye Aurisch
1st Adam Cheers
2nd Jake Ligtenberg
3rd Brody Hill
4th Jacob Dunn
1st Adam Cheers
2nd Jake Ligtenberg
3rd Kallan Bragg
4th Josh Aurisch
Masters (Over 30yrs of age)
1st Ben Fletcher
2nd Aaron Dodds
3rd Craig Smith
4th Daniel Smith
NSW State Titles 13-15th March - Register now if interested. http://www.surfingaustralia.com/nsw/event.php?id=1335
FTBA Social evening and meeting 15th March @ The Bellevue Hotel
FTBA Rnd 2 Sunday 29th March
Boogie Man Safari. Cronulla Camping - TBC
* confirm Merchandise pack orders and payment before 25th March *
Massive Thank you to all 2015 Sponsors - Forster Surf & Sport, The Bellevue Hotel, Hogs Breath Forster, Golden Age Media, OtterBox, Grand Flavour, Sam Elbourne Photo, Unite Clothing, Raw Edge Photography, Matilda Blue, Da Boogie Man, Colleens Bakery, Caught By Eve, Salty Threads, Riptide Bodyboard Magazine, Great Lakes Advocate, Primary Screen Printing